Saturday, August 13, 2011

Moss and Burlap Rosette Centerpiece


I recently had my first moss experience. It was very pleasant :) I bought a bag of craft moss at Walmart for just over $2, and used only half of it for this craft. I love leftovers!

This glass bowl is one of 12 that we used for our wedding centerpieces. They cost almost $4 at Michaels. I kept two and sold the rest on Craigslist, and finally made use of this one. I filled the bottom of the bowl with dirt, and then topped it with a think layer of moss.

I made a rosette out of burlap. You can see the tutorial for the flower here at the Tatertots and Jello blog site. Notes from the Plumb Tree has a nice tutorial as well. It can be seen here. I added the button, which came from Hobby Lobby. I paid just under $2 for a set of two gorgeous buttons!
Isn't it pretty??? :)

I placed the bowl on a pretty napkin from Pottery Barn and put the whole thing on this bar cutout we have in our kitchen wall. 

Please don't judge what you can see if our kitchen : / It's an apartment kitchen and I haven't quite figured out how to make those ugly cabinets pretty without permanently altering them. (Has anyone ever covered cabinets with removable wallpaper?)

Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

  1. Great idea you had here...no I have not use this wallpaper. I’m having an awesome GIVEAWAY…hop over and enter…hurry it ends at midnight 8/14! Also would love to have you join me at my weekly NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY PARTY.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your centerpiece!! I love to bring the outdoors inside. I would not worry about your cabinets, everyone understands apartment living. My daughter tried removable wall paper at her first apartment. uhm - I do not believe it is called removable because it comes down so easily, I believe it is called that because it removes paint so well.

    Thanks for the comment on the party. If you do decide to go Hawaiin for your hubby, let me know. I can tell you where we found things. Unfortunatley we had better luck in OKC than Norman.

    My hubby was Tacamo at Tinker about 15 years ago. At the time it was the only Navy attachment there, that is why I asked. He is an engineer with AT&T now, so we have been here quite a while.

    Talk to you soon!

    Susan
    http://lifeondovehollow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wunderschön! You have found your niche, Süsse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute!!Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the burlap rosette - so pretty! Thank you so much for linking this up to Saturday Social this week! I hope to see you next week as well!

    - Jenn @ Social Salutations

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a labor of love! Thanks for sharing your creativity at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, this is so cute. Love the earthy quality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty. And very unique, which is wonderful!

    How did the Banana Tres Leches cake work for you? MY kids have asked for it four times since I posted the recipe, it's become our go-to celebration dessert. Hope you enjoyed it.

    Warmly,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  9. Howdy - I know all about life getting in the way - crazy zonkers at our house right now.

    I did check Hobby lobby and Michael's but I was by Quail Springs. Need to get to the Norman ones. I am on the search for 8 paper mache pumpkins if you happen to see any. Tee Hee - shameless solicitation!!

    Have you been to the new Jo Ann's in Norman yet? I hope to go with a bud this Thurday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just FYI - you cannot actually get into JoAnn's from inside the mall. The entrance is on the north side west of Sun-n-ski. I know - crazy!!!

    Let me know what you think when you go!!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete